Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Jim Henson's Fantastic World.

I went out to the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens on Sunday to see a childhood hero of mine: Jim Henson. I knew, when I first read about the show, that I wanted to see it but I don't think I quite realized how much I would remember, how many memories would come flooding back or how big I would smile. Fifteen of his iconic puppets are on display: Kermit, Miss Piggy, Bert & Ernie, Big Bird, the whole gang is there as well as countless drawings from Hensons career, vintage commercials he did, pre-Muppets sketches, you name it. The only missing piece would be if we could have rubbed their fleecy fur and hold their hands. Who doesn't want to take a picture sitting next to Kermit on that log? The crowd, no surprise, was mostly adults but I saw one little girl walking around with her own Kermit from home, her hand inside his body, just like Jim Henson did to operate Kermits features. Walking among the fuzzy and furry characters took me back in time. I could have sat for hours in those bright colored mini beanbags watching old clips of The Muppets, Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street. Thanks Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment